DDR2 and DDR3 memory for desktops and notebooks is now available in 3 types (@amd, @intel and dualmode)
- Intel DDR2/3 are 10bit with 8K blocks (DO NOT WORK WITH AMD HW)
- AMD DDR2/3 are 11bit with 16K blocks (DO NOT WORK WITH INTEL HW)
- Dual Mode should work with both AMD HW and Intel HW
lost a few hours yesterday to some hp & lenovo and amd & intel memory bus nightmares started when i tried swapping DDR3 / PC3 / PC3L ram between an HP and two LENOVO notebooks
- HP 255 G2 with AMD A4 memory bus FIXED at 1600Mhz
- Lenovo T410 with Core i5 memory bus ONLY works at 1333Mhz
- Lenovo Z50 with AMD FX7500 memory bus FIXED at 800Mhz
Basically the T41o refused to work with any of the other memory whereas i thought DDR3 ram was downwards compatible.
Actually just looking at my photos maybe PC3L is not downwards compatible with PC3 ?
now is not a good time to buy a #DDR2 #notebook if you want to put 8G of RAM in it
so just add £100 to your DDR2 notebook budget and buy a DDR3 notebook instead
before spending a lot of money to upgrade your notebooks ram check the price difference between DDR2 and DDR3 since if you need a lot of ram it might be cheaper to replace your DDR2 notebook with a new DDR3 notebook !
for example on 13 may 13 the prices were
ie DDR2 is TWICE as expensive as DDR3