its time to take back your #data with help from @digime and @mydata #privacy #bigbrother #bigbrotherishere
can data (or even #bigdata) change the world ? @d4ca #d4ca are trying to see if it can !
see also @earthhour #earthhour
OSGeo's mission is to:
- Promote the use of open geospatial formats
- Provide best-practise guidelines and examples for use of open and free standards for data (GML, WMS, WFS-T) and metadata (Dublin Core, RDF, ISO19115 through ISO19139).
- Promote public access to state-collected geodata
- Lead by example in demonstrating economic value and research activity generated by open access to public geographic information.
- Run a repository of open geodata
Open Source Geo Projects:
Gapminder is a non-profit venture developing information technology for provision of free statistics in new visual and animated ways.
Goal: enable you to make sense of the world by having fun with statistics.
Method: turn boring data into enjoyable interactive animations using Flash technology.
Gapminder is a Foundation in Stockholm, Sweden. Funding has been mainly by grants from Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency, Sida.
In collaboration with United Nations Statistic Division Gapminder promote free access to searchable public data and all animations of different types of data are freely available at www.gapminder.org.
Free + Database = Freebase
It's about film, sports, politics, music, science and everything else all connected together. Our contributors are collecting data from all over the internet to build a massive, collaboratively-edited database of cross-linked data. Its a big job and we're just getting started.
Really free. We want to make it possible for you to add high quality structured information to your websites, mashups and applications without worrying about restrictive corporate licenses. All data is licensed Creative Commons Attribution. We only ask that you link back to us.