The latest version of the Eclipse IDE & SDK for Apple Mac OS/X and GNU/Linux developers is Eclipse Classic 3.4.1 and contains the Eclipse Platform, Java Development Tools, and Plug-in Development Environment, including source and both user and programmer documentation.
Eclipse Classic 3.2, 3.3 and even older versions can be found at:
and the Aptana Eclipse Studio & PHP Plugins which can be installed on 3.2, 3.3 or 3.4 can be found at:
and can be installed via Eclipse Software Update:
Aptana Studio 1.2.1 Aptana PHP 1.0.0 is the robust, free, open source IDE for PHP featuring everything you need to get started fast and get even faster with developing, testing, tuning, and deploying your PHP apps. From pre-installed PHP servers, code assist, code templates, code generation, debugging, refactoring, database tools and more.
single original (kernel) definition !
- at 150M download its bigger than some distros !
multiple distribution variants
even has a builder distribution
- have dependancies
- 30 updates reqd immediately after base install !
- system updater that can run in background
- it has mirrored repositories of updates
- can crash during updates !
- its recommended to restart after updating
- some addons/features/plugins create incompatibilities !
- can be uninstalled
- it calls itself the system !
- it runs scripts
- it invokes browsers
- it has multiple perspectives/views
SCM & Version Control
Markup & XML